Southeast False Creek Neighbourhood Energy Utility (NEU)
The City of Vancouver’s Southeast False Creek Neighbourhood Energy Utility (NEU) currently provides space heating and domestic hot water to the buildings at Vancouver’s Olympic Village and all new buildings in Southeast False Creek are required to connect to the system. By recycling waste heat captured from sewage and waste water to provide heat and hot water to the community, the NEU eliminates more than 60% of the global warming associated with heat and hot water usage in buildings. Since all new buildings developed in Southeast False Creek are required to connect to the system, the City of Vancouver has retained engineering services for design and construction of the expansion of the NEU and new building connections.
AME’s role on this project covers the coordinated peer review process with building mechanical representatives – acting as the Owner’s Engineer – to ensure each building applying for connection to the NEU is compatible, and providing the required design criteria for capacity and return temperatures. Our firm’s scope of work includes:
- Review of development peak load and energy estimates prepared by developer or their HVAC consultant, and establish consensus on contract and design capacities
- Review of the preliminary design stage building mechanical design drawings and major equipment specs to establish NEU system compatibility,
- Preparation of preliminary design review memo summarizing comments and suggested changes on the proposed preliminary design
- Review of the 90% stage building mechanical design drawings and major equipment specs to confirm NEU system compatibility,
- Update of design review memo based on 90% review.
- Attendance at coordination meetings at the preliminary and 90% design stages with the building developer and their HVAC consultants.
- Preparation of Equipment Selection for Energy Transfer Station (ETS) components – heat exchangers and controls and metering components, including SCADA Communication requirements.
- Preparation of ETS schematic design drawings.